Welcome to Dave's Hoosier GOP

I started this blog as a convenient place to put appropriate articles, letters, comments and opinions expressed by Southern Indiana Hoosier conservatives. I'd be pleased to have you join me, post a comment or add an article yourself.

As with all blogs, I reserve the right to edit, revise or delete entries if I feel it is necessary. I hope this blog might serve to provide us a good forum for "all things conservative" that those of us who share similar views might appreciate and enjoy.

Please follow us, come back often and add to the forum. Visit us at www.floydgop.com and www.daveweb1.com too.
Dave

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Post Election Post

I thought I’d wait a while before I wrote about my feelings on our election victories Nov. 2. In the first place, no one likes a “gloating” victor. Second, everyone has an opinion as to why the Republicans did so well. And like noses, you can’t get two to agree. I don’t think that is exactly how that metaphor goes, but you know what I mean.

I appreciated Jeff Roudenbush’s congratulatory letter to our winning Republicans that printed in The Tribune. So much of what he said is true, whether our citizens agree with his opinions or not. My compliments also go to The Tribune and Evening News staff who allow their readers to respond to stories by commenting in the Discussion section next to the letters. I learn a lot from those comments. I encourage more citizens to sign up to add their comments. It is a great way to get your voice heard.

One comment that I had to pay close attention to was the one that claimed that “Democrats elect candidates in Floyd County.” I’m not so sure that is necessarily true any longer. We all know that more and more, the county is leaning heavily Republican while the city tends to remain loyally Democrat. Of course, the question I have to answer as the GOP chairman is how I can encourage more city citizens to join our team.

Democrat or Republican, there are few who would disagree with me that citizens of Floyd County are largely conservative. We have a few, but not many, “flaming liberals” in our neck of the woods. But I agree with Jeff when he stated that this election was about voters who “went to the polls to stand up for their values of conservative America.” Of course, I have to examine that sentiment in light of an overwhelmingly vote two years ago that seemed to reflect the opposite.

As you would expect, I strongly defend the values of our platform as a Party that say we believe in smaller government, lower taxes and conservative, moral values. I believe that if you believe in those values you should vote for Republican candidates. Surprisingly, most Democrats in our county tell me they do not agree with their Party’s stand for larger government, increased taxes to achieve wealth distribution and liberal, moral values. Problem is, they still vote Democrat. My job is to convince voters that we Republicans mean what we say, actually have better solutions to our problems and are a better choice than our Democratic opponents.

I will be the first to admit that if our “conservatives” get into office and then, hypocritically, give you larger government, higher taxes and do not represent your values, then we as Republicans have done nothing to keep your trust. On the other hand, if you conservatives in Southern Indiana really have a conservative “world view” and expect your candidates to reflect them, then there really is no reason why we should expect next year to be different than this one. If only the world worked that way.

I have been criticized for opening the door to conservatives who have called themselves Democrats in the past to join our ranks. But frankly, I don’t know why, with the values our Party says they represent, we wouldn’t continue to have a growing number of Republicans in Floyd County. It may be that that is what the numbers from Nov. 2 are teaching us. Yes, I know there are those of you out there who think as Republicans, we don’t care about people, we only want riches for the wealthy and we callously want to destroy a woman’s right to choose. But I can’t help but think that there is a growing number of us who have decided that our President has taken us so far left that only a revival in real conservative values and votes that reflect those will bring us back from the brink. Come on over to the right, Floyd County. The water is fine!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to you and the other victorious GOP'ers in Floyd and Clark. It was inspirational to see y'all lose so often but to keep plugging and working hard-- and then to be at the right place/time to have the opportunity to make a direct impact on the political landscape.

    I hope that you enjoy the experiences!
    Grace and peace to you and yours...eric

    ReplyDelete